Sunday, February 5, 2012

treasures of heaven & earth

I wrote that list of happy things below first in my journal, and with some of the things towards the end I was like, "What does that mean? Who knows? I like the sounds of the words."

Today I was cleaning out mouse poop and dishware that I have bad memories attached to from my kitchen cabinets. I've been, literally, home-making= all weekend, trying to bring heaven to the earth inside my home - cleaning, throwing or giving away unused items, rearranging. I realize I have intuitively "stumbled on" to a color scheme that mimics the countryside of my childhood: Wisconsin sky-blue and cloud-white on the walls, various greens of furniture, the brown of trees, a little barn red for good measure. (And part of the sky-blue is that special Mediterranean shade of Spain & Greece, used as a door accent and wherever there are significant transitions.) I might even try a light silvery-gray on the trim so that the full range of sky-colors on a sunny day with puffy clouds is fully realized. 1 out of 3 times I get an idea like this, it works.

I have two garbage bins full of trash in the alley and it felt incredibly energizing to walk out there 7 times to fill it. I ran the dishwasher 4 times today and wasn't grumpy a single time.

As I removed some unneccessary linoelum lining from the lower cabinets, I found a whole intact newspaper spread underneath. When I announced my treasure to the kids, Rilian called out, "What date is it?


"HA! It's my birthday!" My 9th birthday, to be exact. Those are 1/365 odds. Knowing you are in the right place.