Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rilian wiped out on his bike on Sunday and needed 4 stitches in the ER to patch up his forehead. He came towards me covered in blood as me, my extended family, and childhood friends were walking up my parents' driveway with the spoils of an Easter Egg hunt.

One of those friends, Sam, is now a nurse (a male nurse, brave soul) and he took Ril inside and cleaned the wound. Ril was starting to scream and shake like he was going into shock. Sam and I were trying to calm him down. "Look in my eyes, Ril," I said, and he focused on them. I put my hand gently on his heart to hopefully connect with energy there, if such things are possible.

Sam told him, "God made your head with lots of blood vessels so that it will heal fast."

Ril responded, "God made everything and THIS HAPPENED!"

In six words Ril pretty much summed up the dilemma of being human and believing in a God. I love how kids manage this. I love that he was able to express what he was feeling not only in his body but also his soul.

Carl Jung said he experienced God inhabiting creation the way we inhabit our bodies. ("God has a personality and is the Self of the universe just as I myself am the self of my psychic and physical being.") Which is to say - God very nearly is creation, because who can (or should) separate the feeling of "me" from their body? On a microcosmic level, Ril's blood is God's blood. One, in the other, in the other.