Wednesday, August 8, 2012

adventures in delicate synchronicity

I feel like that should be the re-titling of my blog. My tracking nature (patterning) combined with desire, and connection to environment, results in noticing things that are slight but profound for my days. I feel like there is a golden thread going through the hours, and paying attention is the way of holding on to it and making my way through the maze of life. ("Miracles rest on... our perceptions being made finer so that our eyes can see and our ears can hear what is about us always," is that Willa Cather quote, which keeps coming to mind.)

This morning I went to Catholic mass. On the way, the Good Year sign at a tire center stood out to me. "Yeah, I want this to be a good year," I thought. It is already - the school year has begun and it's going surprisingly well.

I slipped in to mass and was delighted to find a saint at the helm. He is an elderly priest who was "on the fast track" to be a bishop as a young man, but chose to fight the system, and is about to retire as only a parish priest. He had all the bumbling humanity of people I've come to trust most deeply - he was full of God, and fully man. His sermon was practical, wise, simple, funny (he instructed us to exercise and take care of our bodies so we could better love those who need us, he reminded us to savor our connections to family and friends, he told the married people to be sure to take time for each other in the midst of giving). His singing was heartfelt, loud, and cracking. When he said "May this be a good year, a very good year," I knew I was in the right place.

They sang a song during communion, We Are One Body. I thought I want to be a ligament - holding different parts together. Holding my Christian and Buddhist and Atheist loved ones together, holding the branches of the western christian tree together in my specific body by communing at many liturgies. Our lines are not the deepest truth, they are leftover from when we had to be pack-minded and defensive to survive. We're not the same, but we're one.